Best and Safest way to carry petrol whilst travelling

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 22:09
ThreadID: 85129 Views:7553 Replies:10 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I need some ideas on the best and safest way to carry and store fuel whilst travelling Australia. We will have a Kedron van with 2 jerry can holders and a 76 series landruiser with a custom boat loader and tinny on top. Don't want to carry fuel in vehicle because of fumes. The custom boat loader has a storage mesh area, so was wondering if it is safe to carry containers of fuel up there and under the tinny. Are they very visible under the tinny? Do you keep fuel containers stored up there all the time? I will need a outboard fuel tank, small container with chainsaw mix and a container with standard fuel for the generator. I'm thinking to much for the front boot. What would be the best way to secure containers on the custom boat loader? Does anyone use jerry can holders for fuel or just water? Any ideas/pictures of what anyone else does with their fuel would be great. Cheers. John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 22:51

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 22:51
I have used jerry can holders for fuel. No problems.
But.
With the price of fuel now a days, more people are thinking they need it more than you. Lock it well.
AnswerID: 448785

Reply By: Darren H1 - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 07:58

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 07:58
John,

We travelled and had two on a roof rack and two on the camper, i found for the most part i carried them without really needing them. My advise would be only fill them if you are really going to need it. I probably used more fuel carting them around full thinking i was saving two cents per litre than really actually needing the fuel. But in saying that i didnt have problems with leaks or theft, and the jerrys on the roof were only tied on with the fasty straps.
AnswerID: 448803

Reply By: Lyndon & - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 07:59

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 07:59
If $ are not of concern maybe a purpose built tank under the van might be the go? Don't like the thought of fuel on the roof though many do it.
Have you put your boat up and down yet? If not do so, we have a custom boat loader also and have to store our O/B fuel tank strapped in the boat as it is not possible to pull the boat up with the fuel tank on the roof rack (disappointing). Have you bought your loader yet?
Regards Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 448805

Follow Up By: John P - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:22

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:22
Hi Lyndon. We don't have our custom boat loader yet. I have just completed all the research and once house sells will be ready to purchase everything. Have spoken the the guys a bit at custom boat loader though. I am going to purchase a Quintrex 390 Explorer and have full side rails put on. This will allow extra clearance under the boat and also grab/tie points and feel safer with the kids. Do you have full side rails? You obviously travel with tank empty. Do you have outboard fuel in container ready or do you just fill it up when you require it?
FollowupID: 721079

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 08:04

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 08:04
Hi John

Fumes can be a problem - but more imagined than real if done right.

We always carry jerries inside the car (up to 6) and I think its safter that way - we then try to move them to outside the car when empty just to make space.

It took us a while to get good jerries that would have lids that sealed properly.
We used red ones from super cheap - no longer available , but they have similar single opening jerry which I have not specifically checked.

I even had to slighty trim the plastic screw threads to ensure best seal.

However even with lid securely on , and jerry locked in car overnight , you can smell fuel in car next morning.

This source of smell though is so minuite that it poses no saftey issue - just a nuisance. We have got round this by having slimline weathershields on all 4 doors and this allows windows to be left down an inch even when raining and in turn this makes it almost no issue at all.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 448806

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 08:35

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 08:35
Have a read of the Material Safety data Sheet on Unleaded fuel!
FollowupID: 721053

Follow Up By: dindy - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:24

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:24
Why in hell would you carry all that fuel in your cabin and think that it is safer. That would have to be the most unsafe way to carry fuel. Imagine if you have a roll over or rear end collision. I can't believe that you think this is the safest way to carry fuel. Vehicle fuel tanks are on the outside of a vehicle for very good reasons. To advise someone to carry fuel in the cabin borders on recklessness.
FollowupID: 721059

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:38

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:38
Hi Dindy

Inside the cabin , is the only place engineered and designed specifically to withstand impact on a vehicle - hence its the saftest.

Do you really think you would be better with it mounted in a jerry can holder at the back of a car / van when that rear end collison you mentioned happened !

Even a small impact would rupture a can there , whereas I takes a huge hit
to penetrate cabin space these days.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 721062

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:48

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:48
Aside from any other considerations, have a read of the MSDS. Unleaded fuel contains many harmful substances that makes it dangerous to inhale or absorb the vapours. So if you can smell it it's dangerous especially if inhaled/absorbed over long periods.
FollowupID: 721063

Follow Up By: dindy - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:17

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:17
Hi robin I now understand why you think that it is a safe place to carry your fuel. However If you think that you will be safe in your engineered steel cocoon in the event of an accident, well good luck. I have attended the scenes of many a collision and generally the survivability of the occupants of the vehicles involved, no matter the make or model of vehicles, depends on the angle and and the speed of the vehicle at the point of impact. Most vehicles are designed to provide occupant protection at speeds in the 60kph to 80kph range. If your cans are on the exterior of the vehicle there is a good chance they will dislodge in the event, as I have seen, and cause no problem.
FollowupID: 721066

Follow Up By: Member - Toby R (WA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:28

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:28
Have you considered fitting long range fuel tanks for your 4wd then the only fuel container you will need is a small one for your outboard which should be a lot easier to store than multiple jerry cans.
FollowupID: 721068

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:21

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:21
Hi Guys

Toby even my long range tanks don't cut it sometimes the exposive potential of a litre of petrol is such that carring several jerries is not really considered any worse than a small container.

Hi Notso
The potential for fumes is there as per your MSDS sheet , but its not real in practise by taking care.
You certainly wouldn't take a container that actually leaks even a drop , and ones I mentioned do specifically not have a vent valve.
You just can't smell petrol normally , you have to leave in enclosed space for hours and I think a minute amount must pass directly thru the plastic (not sure).
This is gone within a few seconds of driving anyway, I think you have more health issues by driving to close to the diesel car in front of you.

Dinidy - You could definately have senarios when either fails , but I opt for me and the fuel to be inside the engineeried steel cocoon.
Sounds like I am lucky to not have attended as many accidents as you.
Once though the car next to me rolled, it was carrying jerries on the roof which came dislodged , damaged and fuel spilled. Nasty scene actually but
every container inside the car was okay - people weren't.
These experiences do tend to shape the way you do things.

One thing I notice is that having them inside makes one take more care of them , whereas I often o with people who just chuck a couple onto their trailers , and later on you find they are leaking / dirty / etc or get incidental damage more easily.

Inside these things become apparent, and get fixed much more quickly, else the wife soon lets you know.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 721078

Follow Up By: John P - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:30

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:30
Hi, have a very good sense of smell and the wife's is even better. Two kids in the back also. Travelling with fuel in the car is definetly out of the question for us because of the safety, and any hint of fuel smell, the wife and kids will not want to go anywhere in that vehicle. Can't blame them. Am going to have longrange tank installed on landcruiser, so it's just the other petrol operated acc. that we will require fuel and storage for.
FollowupID: 721082

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:12

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:12
As I said,

See the MSDS.

unleaded MSDS

Do you really want to take the risk of breathing this in for hours at a time.

Store it outside the passenger compartment in an approved container.
FollowupID: 721085

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 13:26

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 13:26
That really is an imaginary fear in practise Notso.

The MSDS is actually pretty mild in context , but we should not downplay or overrate the issue.

Petrol is that stuff we all spill on our hands from time to time and breathe in at the service station.

A plane flight Melb to sydney is rated at same cancer risk as smoking 2 cigarettes and heaven forbid eating a BBQ sausage (think thats 7 cigs equivalent).

You don't drive along breathing petrol fumes from jerries -your far more likely to get cancer causing particultes from the diesel in front of you.

In a relative risk assesment it more dangerous to have the fuel outside the vehicle saftey Cocoon where the real danger comes from a rear ender etc.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 721087

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 15:04

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 15:04
Mate that's OK for yourself if you so desire but as far as advising others to take that risk, I wouldn't recommend it.
FollowupID: 721097

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 15:06

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 15:06
Brings new meaning to the term "Nissan Time Bomb" :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 721098

Follow Up By: SDG - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 21:02

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 21:02
My Aunt and Uncle were cut out of their car recently which was almost ripped in half by a motorcycle. Admitadely it was a small car, but there are similar stories out there involving 4wds.
Does'nt take much with a side on impact.
FollowupID: 721163

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 22:08

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 22:08
Go diesels!

Cheers.
FollowupID: 721170

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:44

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:44
Have to agree with Dindy, last place you want fuel is inside the vehicle.
Have seen the results of a roll over in a vehicle with 3 jerry cans of fuel inside and the 3 occupants did not live to see the error of their ways.
I have carried fuel around Oz for 50 years in jerry cans in all sorts of configurations on my 4x4s but all of them were outside. My Landrover had a jerry can holders behind the bull bar in each corner on front and two on the tailgate at the rear. My 60 series and now 80 series I carry on the roof and only fill them at the last minute. eg Oodnadatta prior to entering the Simpson.
You must be conscious of the danger of dispensing fuel from containers and adhere to all the safety rules as you don't generally get a second chance if you are wrong.
My experience with boat fuel tanks is they will always smell of fuel and I carried mine on the roof under the boat but well ventilated.

Cheers
AnswerID: 448815

Reply By: rudi s - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:28

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:28
Hi John

We also have a Kedron ATV and I store 2 x 20ltr Jerry Cans in the holders provided on the Caravan. Petrol for the Generator and the Chain saw is in the Generator compartment of the Kedron.
AnswerID: 448819

Follow Up By: John P - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:14

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:14
Hi rudi s! Thanks for your reply. Was wondering how big a container for your generator fuel you can fit in the generator box. I wont need much for the chainsaw but un sure how much the generator will require say bush camping for a week. Do you use your jerry can holders for fuel or water? Tow vehicle fuel? Do you have any pics of your setup? We are looking at the Topender 21ft family caravan. I love the Kedrons caravans and their service is great.
FollowupID: 721075

Follow Up By: rudi s - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 20:14

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 20:14
John P
Our tow vehicle is a Landcruiser 105 Diesel with lots of after market mods.
The caravan is an ATV. The Generator (Honda I 20) sits in the generator compartment on the rear right hand side of the caravan. I normally carry
a 5 litre can of unleaded petrol for the generator and 5 litres 2 stroke fuel for the chain saw. The jerry can holders are on the caravan and used for 2 x 20 litre jerry cans of diesel for the Cruiser. On a long trip we have 2 plastic jerry cans in the vehicle for water.

We only use the generator occasionally for the aircon and the TV. We are planning to go west for about 3 months leaving mid-May.

Regards
Rudi
FollowupID: 721146

Reply By: Fab72 - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:55

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:55
Avoid high risk collision areas eg: front and rear of vehicle.

Consider the ergonomics of storing it high on the roof, also the change in aerodynamics and vehicle stability in doing so.

Most definitey not in the vehicle due to toxic fume inhalation and risk of fire or explosion.... think of a warm day with the windows up, all those fumes collecting.... opening the door and the courtesy light coming on may be enough to blow you to kingdom come.

IMHO.... long range tank, under vehicle is the only way to go.

Fab.
AnswerID: 448832

Reply By: Ozrover - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 16:22

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 16:22
Hi John

Have you thought of putting a second hand 45 lt sub tank out of an 80 series Landcruiser under the van?
There are lots of them out there from when people fit a larger sub tank in their cruisers, they are reasonably flat & it would be a simple matter to fit it somewhere under the van, fitted with an aftermarket electric fuel pump wired to the on board battery you could decant into smaller containers as you need it.

The reason that I mention it is that I was going to do this with my old sub tank under the camper trailer to feed the motorbikes.

AnswerID: 448851

Reply By: lindsay - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 18:00

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 18:00
I say stay home and watch tele . wonder how some of you people ever get to go anywhere, worry about this and worry about that. Stay home and you won't have to worry. How pedantic can you all get.
AnswerID: 448860

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 09:14

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 09:14
I agree Lindsay. As long as one understands the (real) risks and takes appropriate precautions then it's Happy Days.
FollowupID: 721201

Reply By: Lyndon & - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 08:12

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 08:12
Hi John

Check out my thread 63688 this will give you some idea's re roof racks.

Regards Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 448922

Sponsored Links